Blog

Looking for resources?

How to Use Controversy in Content Marketing

Controversy can make your content marketing much more effective.

Most content marketers would tell you that controversy is a bad thing. After all, you might alienate a portion of your audience, or wind up with bad PR.

But the truth is, if harnessed properly, controversy can be a good thing. It may divide your audience, but that division can turn out to be valuable; even if 30 percent of your readers are turned off from what you wrote, the remaining 70 percent may see you as being more loyal. Plus, controversial content tends to evoke lots of emotional responses, including comments and shares, which only makes your work more visible.

There are just a few rules to follow if you want controversy to work in your favor:

  • Avoid politics. Controversial, debatable views in your industry are an invitation for discussion. Political views are an invitation for a riot. In today’s divisive political climate, it’s best to steer clear of any topics that could rile up a political narrative.
  • Research your topic exhaustively. Controversy only works if you’re providing the groundwork for an intelligent discussion. If there are significant mistakes in your work, no one will take you seriously. Make sure to put extra time and effort into your research to make it foolproof.
  • Be polite and focused. Don’t write your controversial material with an angry or accusatory tone. Instead, remain polite and focused on the specific points you’re trying to make. Treat this as a persuasive essay, rather than a charged argument or a fight.
  • Engage in the comment section. Once published, make sure you pay close attention to your comment section. Getting involved shows that you care about your readership, and may facilitate a healthier overall discussion.

If you’re interested in jazzing up your current content strategy, contact one of our content consultants today!

Be the first to comment.

Post a Comment