5 Best Practices for Effective Keyword Research in SEO
Use these strategies to improve your keyword research effectiveness.
Keyword research is one of the most important elements of your search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. In case you aren’t familiar, this is the research phase that helps you determine which words, phrases, and queries you want to target in your strategy. Choosing the right keywords can not only help you rank faster, but make sure your final positions end up sending the most valuable traffic to your site.
It’s an easy process to learn but a difficult one to master. These strategies can help you make the most of it:
- Use multiple research sources. There are many online resources that can help you find information on relevant keywords, including Google’s Keyword Planner tool and Moz’s Open Site Explorer. Because keyword data can vary slightly, it’s a good idea to use multiple resources when researching.
- Always research synonyms and alternative names. It’s tempting to focus on only the terms you feel most confident on, but it’s important to research variations of those terms, including synonyms and alternative names. It’s possible to find some valuable ranking opportunities this way.
- Consider both traffic and competition. The two most important variables to consider in any keyword strategy are volume (a measure of the total amount of queries a keyword or phrase gets) and competition (a measure of how many other companies are trying to rank for that term). High-traffic, low-competition terms are your best bet.
- Keep a list of secondary targets. It’s fine to have a short list of the most valuable keywords and phrases for your brand, but make sure you also keep a list of all your secondary targets. These are valuable for inclusion in the body of your content, and as backups in case your primary targets fail for any reason.
- Refresh your list regularly. Keyword data changes on a regular basis, so it’s important to keep your knowledge up-to-date. Refresh and revise your list of keyword targets at least once a month.
If you’re interested in outsourcing your keyword research, or getting help taking action on your keyword research once it’s finished, contact Quez Media today!