5 Marketing Tips to Learn from Captain Kirk
James T. Kirk, captain of the Starship Enterprise, is known for his leadership and practical thinking—but his adherence to fundamental marketing principles makes him a great example to learn from.
Captain Kirk is one of the most recognizable characters of the Star Trek universe, and for good reason. His quick thinking, dynamic persona, and commitment to his team are just a part of what make him such a highly respected leader, both in and out of his fictional universe. But his character can teach us a lot about how to implement marketing strategies with a similar level of effectiveness.
Let’s take a look at these five marketing tips we can learn from the Enterprise commander:
1. Take risks. Kirk isn’t known for his complacency. He’s the first one to step up to a challenge, despite usually being warned against taking action. Like Kirk, you cannot be afraid to take calculated risks, or else you won’t see the results you need.
2. Know your team intimately. Kirk has gathered some of the finest minds in the universe aboard his vessel, and he plays to their strengths at all times. On your team, make sure you’re delegating work in the way that makes the most sense. Play to your team’s advantages.
3. Think fast. The world of marketing does not tolerate slow change. You have to think quickly and adapt to new situations faster than you’re comfortable with in order to survive in the long-term.
4. Strive for significance. Kirk is obsessed with making a difference in the universe, even if it was only a small one. In the same vein, you should focus on providing a value or making an impact for your clients. The end result can pay off big time.
5. Explore. Dedicated to finding planets and civilizations never discovered before, Kirk is a master explorer. Like him, you should always strive to find strategies and venues that are currently going untapped.